29 Nov 2023 CBC uses dominant defense to defeat TAMU-T
Texarkana, Texas — Wrapping up their final road trip in November on Saturday, Central Baptist College men’s basketball took on the Eagles of Texas A&M-Texarkana at the Patterson Center. CBC (7-2) held TAMUT (2-3) to 18 first half points and ended up controlling the second half for a 68-49 win.
Devin Foster and Sage Borbon paced the scoring for the Mustangs, both finishing in double figures. Christian White had a career-high in rebounds as CBC held the Eagles to 30 percent shooting from the field and 1-14 from beyond the arc.
The Eagles grabbed the lead early before a jumper from Borbon 2:12 into the contest made it 2-2. TAMUT retook the lead 27 seconds later at 5-2 then extended the CBC deficit to four with 16:43 left. A three by Tonje Durham cut the deficit to one with 15:28 left in the half and another three by Kyle Harding 48 seconds later gave CBC an 8-6 lead and they would never trail in the game again, taking a 30-18 lead into halftime. The Mustangs would not allow the lead to drop below double figures the entire second half and put the game away early, opening the half on a 13-2 run over the first 4:09.
- Foster tied his season-high with 16 points, which he also had against Ohio Christian two weeks ago
- Borbon added 13 points
- White posted a career-high 12 rebounds, breaking his previous high of seven which was accomplished against College of the Ozarks last Saturday
- CBC moved to 6-2 when leading at halftime this season
- This was the first time the Mustangs have ever beaten the Eagles after TAMUT won 73-64 in Conway last season
- CBC shot 46 percent from the field and 36 percent from three
The Mustangs open American Midwest Conference play tonight when they head to Columbia, Mo., for a rematch of last year’s AMC Tournament Final against the Columbia Cougars. Tipoff from the Southwell Complex is slated for 7:30 p.m.