06 Mar Annual Chase Race planned Saturday
The 14th Annual Chase Race and Paws will be held 8 a.m. Saturday, March 9, and will start and finish at Simon Park in Downtown Conway.
The 2-mile state championship race awards a $100 cash prize to any male or female who breaks the present course records. A complimentary 2020 entry form will be awarded to anyone who breaks an age group record.
All registered finishers will receive a unique Chase Race medal. Each person who registers will receive a unisex technical race T-shirt. The race will be timed using disposable chips and will be run on the same fast, out and back course as last year.
“This is the 14th anniversary of the Chase Race. Volunteers are working hard to make this year’s event the best one ever. In addition to being the most unique event in the state of Arkansas, there will be adoptable dogs available and a Pet Costume Contest,” said Chase Race Founder and Race Director Don Potter.
Judging for the contest will occur during the 1-mile run/walk.
Even more importantly, the race continues to commemorate the short life of Chase Potter, who died at age 13. A tragedy has been turned into a commemorative fun event for runners, walkers, children, families and pets.
The event has raised $179,500 since its beginning. The proceeds from this year’s event will benefit HAVEN (Help for Abuse Victims in Emergency Need), a shelter for girls.
Registration is open at chaserace.info/, online at RunSignUp and the Paws Facebook page. Attendees may avoid the $2.50 processing fee by obtaining an entry form available at The Sporty Runner (1016 Van Ronkle St. in Conway), Conway Regional Health and Fitness Center (700 Salem Road), Rock City Running (10300 N. Rodney Parham Road in Little Rock) and Go!Running (1819 N. Grant St. in Little Rock), or by emailing [email protected] for an email copy.
The Chase Race and Paws event includes:
- A quality and competitive Arkansas RRCA Grand Prix Series championship 2-mile race. This race is for runners/walkers only, no pets or strollers.
- The first five overall male/female walkers will be recognized this year. Please register as a walker. Awards are five deep in all age groups.
- A separate 1-mile leashed dog fun or competitive event for runners/walkers.
- Disposable chip timing will be used in both events. A start/finish mat will be provided for the two-mile; gun time only for the 1-mile (no start mat).
- Registered runners/walkers can participate in both events.
- “Paws” Pageant and awards for top three pet costumes, judged during the 1-mile event.
Chase Race and Paws promotes pet adoption and raising funds for a residential group home for adolescent females who have come into foster care at no fault of their own. Chase Race and Paws founders believe that every dog deserves a life and every child deserves a home.