06 May Red Curtain to present ‘Smoke on the Mountain’
Red Curtain Theatre will present the bluegrass, gospel musical “Smoke on the Mountain” across Central Arkansas during May and June. This joyous, comedic adult community theatre production will be performed at local churches and community centers.
Featuring two dozen rousing bluegrass songs, this musical tells the tale of an enthusiastic preacher who has enlisted the singin’ and guitar pickin’ Sanders Family for the church’s first ever Gospel sing along. The talented Sanders family not only performs their songs but also reveals their true, imperfect nature. By the evening’s end, the Sanders Family has endeared themselves to the audience by revealing their often hilarious weaknesses and allowing them to share in their triumphs.
The show is directed by Cindy Nations, with music direction by Liz Parker.
RCT Executive Director Kristen Sherman said, “We are so excited to be taking this show on the road! Being able to share the arts across Central Arkansas is an important mission for us and we love that each performance will be benefiting a different ministry, civic group or educational program. ‘Smoke on the Mountain’ is a rip-roaring fun show with an exceptional cast and is a perfect event for the entire family!”
Red Curtain Theatre is a performing arts theatre company in Conway. The mission of the organization is to provide an atmosphere that nurtures and inspires actors of all ages by offering performance opportunities through community theatre, workshops, dance and private instruction. Most recent performances include the hit musicals “Hello, Dolly!,” “Miracle on 34th Street” and “Fame Jr.”
Red Curtain Theatre’s production of “Smoke on the Mountain” will be performed on the following dates and locations across Central Arkansas:
- 7 p.m. Friday, May 11 Whitney Lane Family Worship Center, Kensett Spaghetti Supper, doors open at 5 p.m. Benefiting The Other Side Ministries. Contact Lexi at 501.505.6117 or Beth at 501.206.1784.
- 7 p.m. Saturday, May 12 The Castle at Harmon Ranch, Greenbrier . Dinner at 5:30 p.m. (salad, pork tenderloin, chicken breast with cream sauce, mashed potatoes, green beans, dessert and more) Benefiting the Guy-Perkins School District’s Backpack Program. Contact Penny Howard at 501.250.7070 .
- 7 p.m. Wednesday, May 16 First Presbyterian Church, Conway . Benefiting First Presbyterian’s Music Ministry. Contact Kristen Sherman at 501.499.9776
- 7 p.m. Friday, May 18 Conway Faith Church, Conway . Benefiting Harbor Home. Contact Dana Davin-Ward at 501.499.8622
- 2:30 p.m. Saturday, May 19, 2018 at Greenbrier Event Center, Greenbrier. Live bluegrass pre-show, coffee, cookies . Benefiting Compass Academy . Contact Courtney Williams at 501.581.1070
- 7 p.m. Saturday, May 19 St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, Conway. Benefiting St. Peter’s Youth Ministries. Contact Kristen Sherman at 501.499.9776.
- 2:30 p.m. Sunday, May 20 Ola and John Hawks Senior Wellness & Activity Center, Conway . Silent Auction and Bake Sale. Benefiting Senior Wellness & Activity Center . Contact Debra Robertson at 501.327.1122.
- 7 p.m. Thursday, May 24 Quapaw Quarter United Methodist Church, Little Rock . Benefiting Quapaw Quarter UMC Community Breakfast. Contact Kristen Sherman at 501.499.9776.
- 5 p.m. Sunday, June 3, Antioch Baptist Church, Conway . Potluck meal and dessert auction. Benefiting Antioch Summer Mission Trips. Contact Kristen Sherman at 501.499.9776.
- 7 p.m. Friday, June 8 First United Methodist Church, Conway . Benefiting FUMC Feeding Ministries. Contact Kristen Sherman at 501.499.9776.
- 6 p.m. Saturday, June 9 NorthView Church, Marshall. Benefiting Daughters of the Other Side . Contact Tiffany McCallister at 973.738.2113.
“Smoke on the Mountain” is presented in part by Smoothie King of Conway and the Conway Convention and Visitor’s Bureau. Ticket prices range from $7 to $25 and may be purchased by calling the contact person for each performance. Online information is available at redcurtaintheatre.com. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.