09 May 2016 2016 Quiz Bowl champions announced
The 2016 Arkansas Quiz Bowl champions have been decided in the state conference finals, held recently at the Arkansas Educational Television Network in Conway.
The final standings:
• District 1A − Norfork defeated LISA Academy North (North Little Rock).
• District 2A − Hazen defeated Conway Christian.
• District 3A − Haas Hall Academy Fayetteville defeated Episcopal Collegiate (Little Rock).
• District 4A − Subiaco Academy defeated Brookland.
• District 5A − Little Rock Christian defeated Harrison.
• District 6A − Russellville defeated Sheridan.
• District 7A − Fayetteville defeated Conway.
The Arkansas Governor’s Quiz Bowl Association awarded each first place team $3,000 in scholarship funds and each second place team $1,500. Each MVP also received a scholarship.
“Quiz Bowl” is a celebration and recognition of scholarship that has been an AETN tradition since 1985. In a series of questions, players must display their knowledge in literature, math, science, history, art, music and economics. Teams from across the state compete for the chance to represent the Natural State in national tournaments.
The Arkansas Governor’s Quiz Bowl Association holds regional tournaments around the state during March. Teams are assigned to a site, and a random drawing places the teams on the pairing schedule. A percentage of teams in the tournament advance to the state tournament. The top two teams from each classification advance to the State Conference Finals.
The Arkansas Educational Television Network is Arkansas’s statewide public television network that enhances lives by providing lifelong learning opportunities for people from all walks of life.