29 Oct Veterans Hall of Fame announces 2012 inductees
Fifteen veterans will be inducted this year into the Arkansas Military Veterans Hall of Fame (AMVHOF) in recognition of their exceptional military achievements.
The induction banquet will be held at 6:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 9, at the Embassy Suites in Little Rock. Each inductee will be awarded the Hall of Fame Medallion by U.S. Sen. Mark Pryor and Lt. Gov. Mark Darr.
Of the 15 inductees, 11 will be inducted for exceptional military accomplishments. Four have been selected for combined military/civilian service to the state and nation.
The 2012 inductees are:
- Brigadier General Herbert Lloyd of Hope – Two Silver Stars, four Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts, Vietnam.
- Colonel Paul Longgrear of Jonesboro (now living in Pine Mountain, Ga.) – Silver Star, three Bronze Stars, two Purple Hearts, Vietnam.
- Sergeant Stephen Branham of Des Arc (now living in Houston, Texas) – Distinguished Service Cross, four Bronze Stars, Purple Heart, Vietnam.
- Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock (deceased) of North Little Rock – Silver Star, Purple Heart, Vietnam.
- Brigadier General Lynn Hooper of Jonesboro (now living in Alexandria, Va.) – Two Silver Stars, two Bronze Stars, Purple Heart and The Distinguished Flying Cross, Vietnam.
- 1st Lieutenant Harry Godwin (deceased) of Hampton – Distinguished Service Cross, two Bronze Stars, Purple Heart, Vietnam.
- 1st Lieutenant Walter Rhodes of Benton – Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Korea.
- Colonel Charles Milam of Camden, Arkansas (now living in Rotonda West, Florida), Silver Star, Bronze Star, Korea
- Sergeant Artis Breland of Camden – Distinguished Service Cross, Purple Heart, Vietnam.
- Master Sergeant James Clifton of Vilonia – Purple Heart, Korean Service Medal, WWII and Korea.
- Colonel Jesse Johnson of Pocahontas – (now living Valrico, Fla.) – Three Silver Stars, three Purple Hearts, Distinguished Service Cross, Defense Distinguished Service Medal, Vietnam, Gulf War.
- Sergeant Dale Bumpers of Charleston – Governor of Arkansas, U.S. Senator, WWII.
- Sergeant Major Don Cain of Bearden – Korean Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Korea.
- Major Ronnie Miller of Jonesboro – Two Distinguished Flying Crosses, two Bronze Stars, Vietnam.
- Private First Class Albert Richardson of Jonesboro – Bronze Star, Purple Heart, WWII.
“Arkansas is home to over 284,000 veterans and we are pleased to play a role in honoring the service of these 15 extraordinary Arkansans. We hope as many as possible will join us Nov. 9 to honor these true heroes," said Colonel Conrad Reynolds (Ret.), director of the Arkansas Military Veterans Hall of Fame.
Tickets may be purchased by calling 888.329.3845. Persons calling should leave their phone number and indicate the number of tickets needed. The public is also encouraged to nominate deserving Arkansans for the 2013 induction class by downloading nomination forms on the AMVHOF website at AMVHOF.ORG.