07 Mar 2016 UCA literary festival
The University of Central Arkansas Department of Writing will hold its annual ArkaText literary festival through Friday, March 11, with most events in Win Thompson Hall.
All ArkaText events are free and open to the public, although the final presentation, the sixth annual Toad Suck Review Launchapalooza on Friday, March 11, in Downtown Conway, may include adult language.
“ArkaText is an event that our faculty and students look forward to every year,” said Dr. Carey Clark, interim chair and associate professor of the Department of Writing. “It is an opportunity to celebrate writing from students, faculty and visiting authors and to learn more about craft from influential writers.”
The schedule for ArkaText includes:
• Angie Macri ArkaText Craft Talk — 11-11:50 a.m. Tuesday, March 8, in Thompson Hall room 331. Poet Macri will speak about her craft with a Q&A to follow.
• Angie Macri ArkaText Reading — 1:40-2:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 8, in the Grand Foyer of Thompson Hall. Macri will read from original works, followed by a book-signing.
• Chase Night and J.H. Fleming: ArkaText Creative Writing Alum Craft Talk Panel — 11-11:50 a.m. Wednesday, March 9, in Thompson Hall room 331. Authors and UCA Writing alumni Night and Fleming will discuss the process of getting books published and will respond to questions and answers from the audience.
• Chase Night and J.H. Fleming: ArkaText Creative Writing Alum Reading — 2-2:50 p.m. Wednesday, March 9, in the Grand Foyer of Thompson Hall. Night and Fleming will read from their works, followed by a book signing.
• Brittani Sonnenberg ArkaText Craft Talk — 11 to 11:50 a.m. Thursday, March 10, in Thompson Hall room 331. Winner of the first Phillip H. McMath award for her novel, Home Leave, Sonnenberg will deliver a craft talk, followed by a Q & A session.
• Brittani Sonnenberg ArkaText Reading — 1:40-2:30 p.m. Thursday, March 10, in the Grand Foyer of Thompson Hall. Sonnenberg will read from her award-winning novel, Home Leave.
• Lea Graham ArkaText Craft Talk — 1-1:50 p.m. Friday, March 11, in Thompson Hall room 331. Travel writer Graham will present a craft talk on the art of travel writing.
• Sixth Annual Toad Suck Review Launchapalooza — 7 p.m. Friday, March 11, at the Lantern Theater, 1021 Van Ronkle St., Downtown Conway. Readers include Lea Graham, Jo McDougall, J. Bradley Minnick, Joe Trimble, Scotty Lewis, and Guy Choate. Copies of Toad Suck Review #6, contributor publications and merchandise will be available for purchase.
For more information, contact Editor Mark Spitzer at [email protected] or 501.450.3339.
For more information about Arkatext, contact Clark at 501.450.3345 or [email protected].